Monday, November 24, 2008

Daily Mercies

This, my first post here, will just be a short explanation of what in the world I'm doing here.

Well, first of all, I'll just be posting my own short devotional-type things which are responses to the daily bible verse widget thing I have on my desktop. Each day a different verse pops up and I usually write a short article/essay/blurb about what I think it means to me, and follow it up with a prayer inspired by the verse.

Second, I may occasionally post my thoughts about particular issues that come up, either in my personal life or in life in general as a struggling Christian in America these days. Although I've known Jesus as my Lord now for over 45 years, I call myself a struggling Christian. But it isn't because I am struggling with my faith, not in the least, but I struggle because I believe that, in reality, all true Christians struggle. It's the life to which we've been called here for as long as we inhabit this mortality, this tenuous thing we call life here on God's green earth. We struggle with our flesh, our sin nature, and we struggle to understand how God can love us the way he does, and how we can ever live up to that. And we struggle to understand that we can't live up to that except by grace and remembering that God's mercies are new every morning.

Hence the title, Daily Mercies.

God, help me to seek your mercies every day, moment by moment, and to remember that they are new every morning. No matter how much I've screwed up, you are there for me as soon as I turn to you. Help me to live in that knowledge - that you are always right here next to me, always loving me and always wanting the very best for me.

I love you, Lord.

No comments: