Monday, December 1, 2008

eating

"Do not labor for the food that perishes, but for the food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give to you. For on him God the Father has set his seal." John 6:27

I mean, really, somehow I don't think my family would appreciate it if I didn't "labor for the food that perishes." But I think I know what Jesus is saying here, and it isn't that I ought to spend my paycheck on canned Spam instead of fresh vegetables.

No, I think Jesus is commenting on my focus.

I think Jesus is saying that I shouldn't be living my life in order to put food in my mouth.

And I know what you're thinking. You're thinking that I'm going to say "instead of living to eat, we ought to be eating to live." And while I do think that's probably true, if somewhat trite, I still don't think that's what Jesus is saying.

No, I think Jesus is saying that instead of living to eat, I ought to live for him and not worry about eating at all. Not about eating or sleeping or shelter or health or money or anything like that, but just living my life in service to him, depending upon him and expecting him to take care of all those other things because I believe . . . I know that he has my best interest in mind.

Sometimes it doesn't feel that way. But when that's how I'm feeling, it is a sure sign that I'm focused on eating and not on him.

Lord, help me to focus on you today, this afternoon, this very moment. Help me to let go of my concerns for this physical life and let you take over. If I eat, I eat for you, Lord. If I excercise, I excercise only for you, because this body is yours and I want to take care of it for your sake, and not for mine. And if I don't have enough to eat, I will trust in you, my Father, to provide according to your will and I will be satisfied. If you help me. Help me to be yours and yours alone. I love you, Father.

8 comments:

Jen - Queen of Poo said...

I've definitely lost my focus this year, and I'm a little afraid to refocus on Jesus. I wonder what that's all about. I still have trouble trusting, I guess.

Daily Mercies said...

Hi ~Jen! Well, why do you think I started doing this blog? I have been in the exact same place, more or less, and thought that this might be a way to help. Anyway, thanks for stopping by and you are in my prayers, my friend.

Jen - Queen of Poo said...

Hmmm, I'm thinking I know who you are. :-)

Daily Mercies said...

Yes, I think you do.

Jen - Queen of Poo said...

Well, it's wonderful to see you blogging again!

Would you believe I suspected the first time you left a comment on my blog? :-)

Daily Mercies said...

Really? Guess it doesn't surprise me. Thanks!

R said...

I always know when it is you!

It is funny, but the way you write gives you away every time! I have had zero time for internet of late, so I have just gotten to where I can read your entries on here.

I have thought of you often and have hoped that you are doing well. I am very glad to hear that you are. It is rough when you or other bloggers I love leave and then the only way to find them again is if they find me!

Daily Mercies said...

Thank you, R. I'm very glad you found me.

That goes for both of you. :)